The Mobile Phone

I work with prisoners but I must say that I didn’t like them before I came to this course. The reasons were obvious- they did something wrong, they are poor and not well groomed, they are often not very bright and all this made it easy to judge as not likeable.

This course helped me to realize that everyone is different and has problems and it’s those problems that led these people into making bad decisions. I try to remember this always and it helps me have more love and compassion in my work. I think it has actually happened because a funny thing happened to me recently.

Someone stole my mobile phone and I was certain it could only have been one person. When I confronted him I was shocked when he readily admitted having done it. When I asked him why, he responded, “Because I needed one and didn’t have the money to pay for it and when I thought about who to take it from, I knew it would be best to take it from you because if I got caught I knew I’d be in a lot less trouble with you than with someone who is not so gentle!” He gave me my phone back and I forgave him.

-Male NGO worker, C1

Return to Stories Index