Wait for a Solution

I’ve worked with the Women’s Commission for a long time and I knew from early in the course that this was going to be extremely useful.

I was struck by the fact that people just don’t listen and don’t worry so much about understanding. Most people also lack problem solving skills. We like to speak out and react but after studying I realized that I need to slow down and listen and wait for a solution rather than deciding on the solution and then matching it to a problem. I know it sounds backwards but it’s really how I used to do things.

I also know that prayer is essential for me in order to get clarity and understand information from others and understand their perspective. This is especially important, for women, I think, because we tend to operate from our emotions, need lots of encouragement, and we grateful when it feels like people are listening carefully to what we have to say. Three of my staff have done the PEACE BRIDGES course because we recognize just how important it is for our target group.

-Female NGO staff, C1


Return to Stories Index