Being Aware of My Feelings

One day a friend phoned me and proceeded to yell at me over the phone. I tried at first to stop her from yelling but she wouldn’t let me so I just let her carry even though she was wrong in the accusations she was making against me as she yelled.

Despite not having done anything wrong I said I was sorry- this was a very dear friend of mine- but she wouldn’t hear any of it and just hung up the phone. She got married shortly thereafter and didn’t invite me to her wedding. It was only later that another friend told her she had been wrong in accusing me and she came back to apologize. Yes, I do still feel bad about what happened but being aware of my feelings I can better control myself and not let those feelings control my actions.

- Female NGO worker, C2


Return to Stories Index