Usually We Took a Walk

I know a woman whose husband fell in love with their housekeeper and left the wife to care for the children alone. She was crazy and distraught when this happened and came to me because she had no one else to talk to.

I met with her every week just to listen to her- usually we took a walk- along the river front or in town and I don’t think I said anything at all during those walks, just listened to her talk about how difficult her situation was. I don’t know what she would have done had she not had that chance to talk about what she was going through. We did this for 6 months…every week…and finally she got through it and felt strong enough to accept this new way of life. I didn’t pass judgment on the husband or share any opinions about their situation. My role was merely to listen.

- Female NGO worker, C2


Return to Stories Index