I Was Always Right

The course was extremely valuable to me. Anyone would tell you that before I was the one to judge quickly who was right and who was wrong and now I can see the importance of listening and asking questions. Before if there was a small problem I didn’t really worry about it and if it was a big problem I didn’t dare to attempt to help solve it. I didn’t want to hear sad stories and would tell people to not focus on bad or sad feelings – which they should just to push those aside and get on with what they needed to do. I was always right.

Funny, I don’t know how I did my job well before understanding what the course taught me about the importance of getting all sides of the story before I just assume I understand as well as empathy.


-Male NGO staff, C1


Return to Stories Index