Learning to Listen

In my position as a pastor of a church, church members came to me for help about the problem they experience in their lives. I got used the habit of criticizing the one who came to me when they did things that I did not like. I judged the people who I don’t like. For those who under my supervision or lower than my position I quickly tried to fix the problem for them without taking time to listen to them.

After I attended the Part A of Conflict Resolution and Transformation, I realized did not offer good listening qualities for people who bring their problem to me for help. I now listen to people who bring their problem to me with the quality I learned from Peace Bridges like not interrupting, judging, criticizing, trusting that the person who bring his/er problem to me will have the answer.

I listened to a lady who had conflict with her husband and the conflict almost cost their marriage. I listened to her story and strong emotions. It was amazing for me to believe that just a good listening to her bring healing for her. I helped her to solve her problem with her husband using the problem solving questions I learned from the course. They were really effective and I did not have to work too hard in giving all the solution to her. I now trust that the owner of the problem may have the resources or ways to deal with their problem.

Return to Stories Index